Run Into Your Week

This summer I decided it was time to run off all my excuses. I could think of any reason in the world to skip my work out. Lying in bed watching Netflix after a long day of work, hanging out with friends, or going out to eat/drink will always sound better than a workout. These options will also always be available. But, the choice is yours whether you want to sacrifice some of those opportunities to live a healthy, balanced life. It’s understandable why fitness isn’t always a top priority for most people. It’s costly, timely, and can honestly can get pretty boring if you don’t change things up. In this blog, I will go through all the factors that hindered me from making exercise a top priority in the past and how I block those factors now to live a physically and mentally balanced life. 

Money Money Money

Now that I am almost completely financially independent from my parents, life is crazy expensive! Workout classes can be anywhere from 20-40 dollars per class. If you work out 6 days a week, that could be anywhere from 400 – 1600 dollars per week. One way I overcame having my workout classes take up much of my expenses was by taking advantage of everything New York City had to offer. Most boutique workout establishments have promotional deals for new members. Whether it be a “first class free” promotion or a discounted rate, there is almost always an option. So, take opportunity of these deals to get yourself started. It allows you to explore and find out what types of classes you like (Babin, 2016, p.121). Once you go through most of these promotions you will have been exposed to so many different music, instruction, and fitness styles. When you find the ones you really like, you can explore their different membership or package options to save money.

Click here to learn about Gyms with "First-Timer" Promotions!


Life & Libraries


As a college student, there is little time for life outside of class and priorities. When we’re not in class, we’re typically in the library and those infrequent random breaks we do get in our schedule are usually filled with some sort of resting activity or social outing. Let’s face it, there are SO many other things we would rather fill our free time with. One way I ensure I work out at least 4 times a week and have 4 free time activities planned a week is by viewing my schedule and choosing the times and days that I will use these. I book my classes right away. Most places have cancellation periods and when you cancel after the periods you get charged. By booking way ahead of time, I ensure my spot and I also can’t cancel without getting charged if I am feeling too lazy to go. Most gyms have consistent schedules, so I make it a routine to go to the same classes every week; this makes it a habit rather than a drag (Babin, 2016, p.61). It sounds kind of crazy, but overall exercising provides me with more energy and better focus in the end. The other way I make time for exercise is by replacing it with a social outing. Talk to your friends and plan times when you can all go together. If you’re testing out all the promotions like discussed above, it is super fun to experience the new places with a group of friends (Babin, 2016, p.121). One of the funniest experiences I had was trying out Shadow Box for the first time in New York City with my two best friends. We laughed so hard most of the time seeing each other interact with the boxing bag. In a moment when we could’ve been lying in bed watching a movie, we created memories we will always remember in a simple work out class. 

Instagram post by @sjsilk (my favorite soul cycle instructor) 

Variation 

Many people I know go to recreational gyms every day and do the same routine and workouts. I personally am not effective like that. I stop on the treadmill and get bored before I even finish half a mile. If I do the same thing everyday I no longer get satisfaction from it and my mind tells my body to get tired way before it is time. If you are someone like me do not worry. There are ways around this. I include a variation of workouts in my weekly routines. I bought small packages at my favorite places instead of just one and mix up my days (Babin, 2016, p.121). Each gym brings such a different experience, so by setting up my weeks with many different workout places I am able to gain continuous satisfaction from my workouts. Here is an example of a typical week of mine in ann arbor:  

  • Monday: Title Boxing 
  • Tuesday: MVMNT Cycling 
  • Wednesday: Title Boxing
  • Thursday: Orange Theory 
  • Friday: Day Off
  • Saturday: Orange Theory 
  • Sunday: Yoga
There is so much variation in my weeks, yet I still choose the same classes every week. Each of these classes not only allows me to work out different parts of my body, but allows a different cultural and social experience. 

For people who aren't into purchasing multiple packages and enjoy one large package it's okay! You can still included variation. All of these places have different instructors or coaches. Each instructor brings a different experience to class. Along with instructor variation comes theme variation. Take Orange Theory for example, each day has a different theme: power, endurance, strength, and ESP. They also have fun themes, challenges, and competitions with each holiday and season.

Check into my next blog to hear about my all time favorite work-out experience: SoulCycle. I will go through all the aspects of SoulCycle that have me head over heels and why it is my favorite community (Babin, 2016, p.120). The bikes and design are consistent across all of the cities I have attended, but the instructors, music, and inspiration are unique  in each class I attend. I will take you through New York City, Long Island, Montauk, and Boston so get ready for the ride!

Babin. B., & Harris, E. (2016). Consumer Behavior 7. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.

Comments

  1. Hi Kendra!
    This was a very inspiring blog post for me. I too fall victim to making excuses when I should be devoting time each day to exercise, even when I have no real reasoning behind skipping a work out. I found it very eye-opening that you listed the three major factors affecting why or why not people may chose to work out because they are extremely relatable. In my experience, I am typically most easily influenced to work out by my housemates. Living with them and spending a significant amount of my time with them daily has made them my primary reference group at school, so when they ask me to work out with them, I am easily persuaded (Babin & Harris, 2016, pg. 156). I see this as more of a social activity because I get to spend time with them even on a busy work day. However, I have noticed that I am much less motivated to go work out on my own because I have become so accustomed to this "social outing" with a partner or a group. Do you have any advice for this?
    I also thought it was very interesting how you addressed working out as a habit. I have often been told that the best way to make sure you exercise is to allocate a specific amount of time per day, no matter the circumstance or schedule of the day, and that this will create a routine. According to The Power of Habit, if I want to make exercising everyday a habit, I must first create a simple cue and a clear reward (Duhigg, pg 53). What would you consider to be your cue and reward? I look forward to reading more, and I am hoping advice will help me to become more motivated to get on the daily workout grind ;)

    References:
    Babin. B., & Harris, E. (2016). In CB 7 (7th ed). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.

    Duhigg, C. (2014). The Power of Habit. New York: Random House Trade.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment